Tuesday, March 1, 2016

An Open Letter to my FFA Steer

One of the hardest goodbyes happens when showing livestock. Let me tell you something. Out of all of my years of showing, I had a special steer named Buckley. He had made the most progression I have ever seen an animal make. He trusted me and I trusted him. He not only was an amazing production steer, but he was an amazing animal. 

Buckley was bred and born as a beef project. This was his main purpose throughout his life. He carried that purpose on his shoulders with pride, because he is making the ultimate sacrifice; giving his life to feed the world. And if I knew Buckley, he was more than happy to do that. 


But just because we knew our fate from the beginning, it didn't change a thing about how we fell dependant on each other. There is nothing I will miss more than washing him as he whines about being tied up, or tickling his tail as he wiggles his whole backside, or the hours of licking my jeans until they are soaked. 


You will forever be a part of me Buckley. You were always there to hear me complain about anything and everything, while passing people became confused; looking at a girl have a conversation with her steer. 


Buckley, thank you. Thank you so much for opening my heart wider, stretching a patience longer, and making my love for this industry greater. Thank you for wiggling during baths, for licking me when I'm crying. Thank you for giving me a lick of confidence while walking into the ring. Thank you for listening to me and trusting me. Thank you for feeling what I was feeling, and thank you for giving you life for us. 


I'll make you a deal. You don't cry, and I won't cry. I'll see you on the other side. 


No comments:

Post a Comment