Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Baaaack to Blogging, this time with sheep!

Hello my lovely readers!! Yes I took a break, (Utah State to thank for that, hello Christmas goodies and sledding in the snow) but now I'm back blogging, and boy do I have some information to share with you.

At some point, I know most of you have come across a video made by PETA, called "Why Uggs are Ugly." This video takes footage from a random country at a random farm, and puts pieces of random footage together to lie to you about how Uggs are made. I apologize to you for having to watch such a false video, it makes me sad that people get lied to each and every day about the agriculture industry.
But good news, Supergirl is here to save the day!! Here is the REAL way sheep are sheared, and also the process of what happens to the wool.
And just to make sure you are given absolutely correct information, I dug out my boots and walked into a barn to see for myself. I also got to extend my knowledge too!!



As you can see, this is me standing in a very large burlap sack. This sack was currently half way full of fresh sheep wool that I was stomping down to pack it in. Large scale operations normally use modern and efficient machinery for this, but nothing a little boot stomping can't do! As you notice behind me, there is a corral of sheep waiting to get a haircut. They are relaxed, healthy and calm. 

This is an overhead picture of what the wool looks like on the inside of the sack. Notice no blood, feces, or outside objects inside the inner layer of the wool. This is because when a sheep appears to be dirty, it is only the outside layer of the wool, ensuring that animal has a healthy lanoline filled coat by their skin. Lanoline is the natural-occurring oil produced by the sheep to keep their coat hydrated, and also it serves as a water resistant. 

I apologize for how far away this picture is taken from; I was currently still standing in the burlap sack of wool. Notice this animal is on its side, not throwing its legs up, remaining quite calm, Also notice no blood or dead animals around, because this operation (as well as every other wool operation ) does not kill the sheep for the wool. The only time an animal's life is ended is when their meat is being harvested to feed the world.

The sheep are run into a small alleyway one by one, and walked out by the worker through a gate.

As you notice above, the animal's wool is sheared off in one piece. This is to help the graders and people who are spinning the wool to keep it all together. This animal is currently sitting on its butt, like a dog would. 
 
On the left I got a close up of the animal's face to capture what they are feeling. As you can see the worker is supporting the animal's head. This animal is quite calm. Its eyes are not searching for escape, its mouth is not open, bleeting for help, and it is not trying to get away.  On the right, I pictured what the lamb would look like if it WAS scared, or in fear of its life. You can easily see the difference.

Pictured above is me, stomping down wool. It was getting pretty full at this point!

Finally, the bag is dropped from the tower and sewed shut for transportation.


Below is footage explaining how a sheep is sheered normally. This is not my footage! But they did such a great job getting it that I wanted to share with you!




4 comments: